Georgia militia general David Blackshear was born in Craven, North Carolina on January 31, 1764. He fought in the American Revolution as a youth, before moving to frontier Georgia in 1790. Blackshear helped organize fellow settlers to defend against possible Indian attack. He was appointed justice of the peace in 1796, then brigadier general in the state militia in 1799. When the War of 1812 broke out, Blackshear was given responsibility of defending the southern and western borders of Georgia—both exposed to hostile Indians. Blackshear had constructed a number of roads, forts, and a ferry along the frontier to expedite the movement of troops. After the war, Blackshear built his home—Springfield Plantation—near this ferry, where he lived and prospered until his death on July 4, 1837. The town that arose around the ferry and roads he had built was ultimately named in his honor—Blackshear, county seat of Pierce County.