Barrow, David Crenshaw
Educator David C. Barrow, Jr. was born October 18, 1852 in Oglethorpe County, Georgia. His family moved to Athens while he was still young. Barrow entered the University as a student in 1869 and graduated in 1874. He began his career in education when he became an adjunct professor in 1879. Barrow’s devotion to teaching and firm, but fair, ways of dealing with students helped him progress to full professor to dean of arts and sciences, and ultimately to chancellor of the University in 1906. Barrow served as chancellor until his retirement in 1925. During his tenure, the University enlarged all its existing schools, plus added schools of commerce, education, forestry, and journalism. Enrollment increased more than 400 percent, and the first female students were admitted. Faculty size tripled, while funding increased over ten-fold. All of this, along with his very strong moral and spiritual leadership, made Barrow one of the most important people in the history of the University of Georgia. His legacy is honored by having his name on an Athens elementary school, an Athens street, and various legacies at the University. In 1914, while he was still chancellor, the General Assembly named a new county in his honor. Barrow died in Athens, Georgia on January 11, 1929 and is buried in Oconee Hill Cemetery.