Ray’s Place - Now Raytown
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Ray’s Place - Now Raytown
- Location: Crossroads in Raytown
RAY’S PLACE - NOW RAYTOWN
Ray’s Place, oldest community in Taliaferro County, was, in the late 1790s and early 1800s, a recreation center on Little River for the “livelier social set” of Washington. It was named for a Ray family from New York who lived in Washington for several years. In later years the famed Wrightsboro Road came through Raytown and the stage road from Double Wells (Barnett) to Washington. The parents and grandparents of Jefferson Davis owned plantations near Raytown in the early 1800s. Mrs. Davis, fleeing Federal forces in 1865, spent a night in Raytown.
131-8 GEORGIAHISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956