Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church
- Location: 8 miles SW of Old Eufaula Hwy on Green Grove Rd. SW in Lumpkin
GREEN GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
This church served as the focus for religious, educational and cultural life of African Americans in the Green Grove community during the late 19th century and well into the 20th century. Deacons Perry Hudson, Isaac Shorter and Lewis Cherry held the first church assembly under a brush arbor in 1886. The first church building was destroyed by a tornado c. 1919 and the second house of worship was consumed by a fire c. 1924. The congregation then moved the church to the present site, which is three miles south of the original location.
ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE FRIENDS OF THE GREEN GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH, SCHOOL AND CEMETERY COMPLEX 2000