Red Hollow Road
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Red Hollow Road
- Location: Ga 17 in Martin
RED HOLLOW ROAD
Winding along a ridge from the mouth of Broad River to the head at Tugalo, RED HOLLOW ROAD evolved from the noted trace, UPPER CHEROKKE PATH, and became part of a complex pioneer road system.
In 1736- 1737, Oglethorpe had River Road laid out to Augusta from Savannah; it was Georgia’s first long road built by white men. At Augusta, River Road joined UPPER CHEROKEE PATH whose origins are lost in antiquity. From Augusta northward to Petersburg, the PATH became Petersburg Road. The PATH crossed not a single stream for approximately 70 miles between Petersburg and Toccoa. Continuing north through Amandaville, Eagle Grove, and Aquilla to a point near Martin, the PATH became RED HOLLOW ROAD. The ROAD intersected at Toccoa with Unicoi Turnpike which ran into East Tennessee. The ROAD at Toccoa also had a spur, Locust Stake Road, which ran to the Ga.-N.C. line.
The track of Southern R.R., completed in 1878, cut RED HOLLOW ROAD 13 times between Toccoa and Martin including the station intersection at Hayes Crossing, Eastonollee, and Avalon.
Erected in 1986 by Martin Lions Club, Martin Woman’s Club, and Stephens County Historical Society