Historic Traveler’s Rest
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Historic Traveler’s Rest
- Location: At house on Old Church Rd N of US 123, 5.5 mi east of Toccoa
HISTORIC TRAVELER’S REST
Historic Traveler’s Rest was built upon land granted to Major Jesse Walton in 1785. Walton, a Revolutionary soldier and political leader, was killed by Indians near here in 1789. The Walton family sold the land to James Rutherford Wyly who built the main part of the house between 1816 and 1825. Devereaux Jarrett bought the house on August 21, 1838. Jarrett added to the original structure and opened it to the public. Due to the growing population and increased through traffic, the structure served as an inn, trading post, and post office. While the ten room house was open to the public it entertained many illustrious travelers. The Jarrett account books, that doubled as hotel registers, contain the name contain the name of the English scientist and author, G.W. Featherstonehaugh, who stayed the night and ate breakfast for “a quarter of a dollar.” While the Jarrett family owned the house that they called Jarrett Manor, Mrs. Mary Jarrett White, the last family owner, made history. She was the first woman in Georgia to vote. Historic Traveler’s Rest is on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Georgia Historical Commission site.
127-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1970