British Army Crossing
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: British Army Crossing
- Location: 3 miles northwest of Ga. 24 at the Brier Creek Bridge in Millhaven
BRITISH ARMY CROSSING
On the morning of march 2nd, 1779, the British Command of Lieut.-Col. Prevost reached the west bank of the creek here after an all night march from Hudson’s Ferry. The bridge had been destroyed by Col. Leonard Marbury’s Dragons guarding the rear of Gen. Ashe’s troops bivouacked at Freeman-Miller Bridge 15 miles south.
Infantry and horse forded the stream, engaged and defeated Marbury’s Dragons, capturing some while others escaped over Burton’s Ferry. Marbury’s message to Ashe was intercepted. Prevost’s troops and artillery crossed on pontoons before day of the 3rd, and arrived at the surprised Ashe’s rear by 3:00 P.M.
124-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953