Columbian Lodge No. 7, Free & Accepted Masons Columbus, Georgia
- Source: Byron Hooks
- Marker: Columbian Lodge No. 7, Free & Accepted Masons Columbus, Georgia
- Location: 2nd Avenue between 11th and 12th Streets, Columbus
COLUMBIAN LODGE No. 7, FREE & ACCEPTED MASONS COLUMBUS, GEORGIA
Organized October 9, 1828, Columbian Lodge was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Georgia in December 1828, as No. 28. In 1849 it became No. 7. It is the oldest Lodge in western Georgia. First Worshipful Master was Luther Blake. The Lodge was organized two months before the City of Columbus was incorporated in Muscogee County, then in Indian border territory.
Numbered among the many prominent Georgians who have been members of Columbian Lodge: Colonel James W. Fannin, Master in 1929, a martyr at Goliad in the War for Texas Independence. Mirabeau Bounaparte Lamar, editor, poet, soldier, statesman, hero of San Jacinto, and second President of the Texas Republic; Philip T. Schley, Grand Master of Georgia Masons 1836 through 1841 and again in 1843.
During its nearly 150 years of continuous existence as a vital influence for good, Columbian Lodge has furnished many outstanding citizens and brethren in the field of public and fraternal service.
Always steadfast in its adherence to the gentle philosophy of Freemasonry, Columbian Lodge No. 7 is the mother lodge of the Chattahoochee River Valley.
MARKER PLACED BY THE EDUCATIONAL & HISTORICAL COMMISSION, GRAND LODGE OF GEORGIA, F. &A.M. 1975