Choose another Topic

Monroe County Historical Markers

Forsyth


  • Source: Ed Jackson
  • Marker: Forsyth
  • Location: Monroe County courthouse square, Forsyth

FORSYTH

Forsyth, County Seat of Monroe County, was incorporated by Act of Legislature in 1823. It is in almost the exact geographical center of the State. First commissioners were James S. Phillips, Henry H. Lumpkin, John E. Bailey, Anderson Baldwin and Samuel Drewry. Forsyth was named for John Forsyth who, as U.S. Minister to Spain, negotiated the final treaty by which Florida and other lands held by Spain were ceded to the U.S. He served as Governor, Senator and U.S. Secretary of State under Presidents Jackson and Van Buren

102-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956