Choose another Topic

Marion County Historical Markers

Fort Perry 1813


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Fort Perry 1813
  • Location: Ga 41 at Fort Perry Rd, about 12 miles north of Buena Vista

FORT PERRY 1813

One half mile due east lies the site of Fort Perry, along the Old Federal Road. A stockade fort, defended by block houses, this post was ordered erected by General John Floyd, of Camden county, as he led a body of 400 Georgia Militiamen through this friendly Indian country to fight the Red Sticks across the Chattahoochee river in Alabama territory. Completed in October 1813, it was named in honor of Commandant Oliver Hazard Perry, Naval hero of the War of 1812, whose message from the Battle of Lake Erie that “We have met the enemy and they are ours” gave him immortal fame.

098-1
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION

1954