Choose another Topic

Lumpkin County Historical Markers

Price Memorial Building


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Price Memorial Building
  • Location: US 19 at Campus of North Georgia College, Dahlonega

PRICE MEMORIAL BUILDING

Erected here in 1837 was a U.S. Branch Mint which operated

until seized by the Confederates in 1861. It produced gold

coins estimated to exceed $6,000,000.00 in value. In 1871

the mint building and ten acres of land were transferred to

the state for use as an agricultural college, largely through

the efforts in Congress of Representative William Pierce Price,

founder of North Georgia College and President of its Board

of Trustees until his death in 1908. The mint building was

destroyed by fire in 1878 and in the following year a second

building was constructed on the old foundation walls. The new

structure came to serve as the college administration building

and in 1934 by action of the state Board of Regents was named

the Price Memorial Building to honor the founder.

Leafing of the steeple with gold from the surrounding hills

was sponsored by the Dahlonega Club to commemorate in

1973 the 100th anniversary of the college.

093-9 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1973