- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Valdosta Institute
- Location: Opposite old library on Central (US84) W of Oak St, Valdosta
S. M. Varnedoe was administrator of a ten-grade private school, the Valdosta Institute, 1865 - 70. Famous among its students was J. H. “Doc” Holliday. The Masons and several churches also used the institute as a meeting place. After the purchase, in 1885, of the property from the Wells Estate, a new brick building was constructed. In 1895 the Valdosta Institute became a public school. The brick building continued to house sections of the public school until it was razed in 1958.
The Valdosta Town Committee, 1993