- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Nationsbank
- Location: 100 Block of S. Patterson Street, Valdosta
A privately owned bank was founded in 1874 in Valdosta by Remer Y. Lane as the R. Y. Lane Banking Co. In 1888 Lane, with others, formed the Merchants Bank which evolved into the Citizens and Southern National Bank in 1926, becoming the largest banking system in the southeast. The C&S Bank merged with the Sovran Bank in 1990 and with NationsBank in January 1992, making it the fourth largest bank in the nation. The NationsBank building remains at the same location as the original Merchants Bank.
The Valdosta Town Committee, 1993