Savannah-New Inverness Road
- Source: Louis LeConte
- Marker: Savannah-New Inverness Road
- Location: US 17 opposite Midway Church, Midway
SAVANNAH-NEW INVERNESS ROAD
This highway follows an old colonial road constructed in 1736 as a measure of defense against the Spanish and Spanish Indians by connecting the fighting Scotch Highlanders at New Inverness (now Darien) with Savannah. It was surveyed and cleared by soldiers and Indians furnished by Tomo-chi-chi under the direction of Capt. Hugh MacKay by order of Gen. James Oglethorpe. The road was traveled by such famous Georgians as Button Gwinnett, Dr. Lyman Hall, and John and Joseph LeConte.
[Works Progress Administration Marker]