Old Sunbury Road
- Source: Louis LeConte
- Marker: Old Sunbury Road
- Location: US 17 at Midway Church, Midway
OLD SUNBURY ROAD
The highway entering here is the Sunbury Road which once served as an arterial vehicular route from the interior of Georgia to the Town of Sunbury, a former leading port and educational center, located 11 miles to the eastward on the Midway River. The stretch from this area to Sunbury was opened about 1760. In the early 1790’s the thoroughfare was extended to Greensboro via Swainsboro and Sparta. The route declined in importance when Sunbury lost commercial significance.
089-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956