Choose another Topic

Liberty County Historical Markers

Liberty County


  • Source: Keith Hair
  • Marker: Liberty County
  • Location: Liberty County Courthouse, Hinesville

LIBERTY COUNTY

Liberty County, an original county, was created

by the Constitution of Feb. 5, 1777 from creek

Cession of May 20, 1733. It had been organized

in 1758 as the Parishes of St. John, St. Andrew

and St. James. The theatre of many important

events during the Revolution, Liberty County

was named for American Independence. From

it all of Long and McIntosh Counties were

formed. Samuel Morecock was commissioned

Sheriff in 1778. Wm. Barnard became Surveyor,

Feb. 17, 1782. Francis Coddington in 1785 was

made Clerk of Inf. and Sup. Courts of Liberty,

Glynn and Camden Counties. John Lawson was

sworn in as Coroner in 1790.

089-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956