Choose another Topic

Jenkins County Historical Markers

Jenkins Court House


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Jenkins Court House
  • Location: Jenkins County Courthouse, Millen

JENKINS COUNTY

Jenkins County was organized from territory

cut from Burke, Screven, Bulloch, and Emanuel

counties in 1905, and officially began its function

as a new political unit on Jan. 1, 1906.

The first court house was completed in March,

1908 and burned Jan. 5, 1910. The present struc-

ture, essentially identical to the first, was re-

built within the following two years. The

building was designed by Lewis F. Goodrick of

Augusta and its extravagant Italian Renaissance

lines reflect something of the boundless op-

timism and pride of achievement of our early

citizens.

082-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953