Choose another Topic

Jefferson County Historical Markers

Ways Baptist Church and Stellaville School


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Ways Baptist Church and Stellaville School
  • Location: 4991 Campground Rd, Stellaville Community, Wrens

Ways Baptist Church and Stellaville School

Ways Baptist Church was established in 1817. Originally known as Darcy’s Meeting House, the church was formed by members of the Brush Creek Church. In 1868 Ways Church organized the Stellaville School, which was active until the mid 1940s. The only high school in the county outside of Louisville, Stellaville draw students from as fr away as South Carolina. The schools’ faculty included some of Georgia’s leading educators at that time, such as Professor V.T. Sanford of the Sanford family of Mercer University. These instructors were brought to Stellaville by Reverend W.L. Kilpatrick, who served as chairman of Merceer’s trustees, and led the Ways Baptist Church congregation from 1866-1891.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and Ways Baptist Church

2004.8

81-1