The 20th Corps
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: The 20th Corps
- Location: At the intersection of Bus. U.S. 1 and U.S. 319, Wadley
THE 20TH CORPS
On Nov. 29, 1864, Jackson’s and Geary’s divisions, 20th Corps (Williams), of Gen. Sherman’s army, destroyed the railroad from Spier’s Turnout (Bartow), No. 11, CRR, through Bethany (Wadley), No. 10 1/2, CRR, to the Ogeechee River. next morning, both the railway and wagon bridges east of Bethany having been burned by the Confederate defenders, Jackosn and Geary marched up the west bank and crossed the Ogeechee River at Cowart’s bridge, 2.5 miles SE of Louisville, then turned east to Eden Church, on Big Creek, where they rejoined Ward’s division and the corps trains which had moved on the direct road through Davisboro and Louisville.
081-14 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958