General Wood’s Fort
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: General Wood’s Fort
- Location: US 319 east of Bartow
GENERAL WOOD’S FORT
On a high knoll, overlooking the surrounding land, stood the home of General Solomon Wood, Revolutionary soldier. Near his home, General Wood built a blockhouse for the protection of his family and neighbors. When there was any sign or sound of Indian trouble, a large bell, loud enough to be heard for two miles, would summon everyone within hearing range to the shelter of the fort. General Wood is buried near the site of his home and fort, now part of “Victory Farm”.
081-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955