Choose another Topic

Jackson County Historical Markers

The Braselton Family


  • Source: Charles Braselton Gillespie
  • Marker: The Braselton Family
  • Location: Town Hall on Ga 53 in Braselton

The Braselton Family

In 1876 William H. Braselton, Sr. and his wife, Susan Hosch Braselton, established a 796-acre farm in western Jackson County . The Braseltons’ children, Henry, Green, John Oliver, Belle, and Lena , grew up working on the family farm, developing several support businesses such as a store and fertilizer operation. The arrival of first the railroad in 1902 and then a state highway in 1927 allowed expansion of farming operations. In 1916 the town of Braselton was incorporated. In addition to the farm, the development of a mercantile and grocery business as well as a grist and flour mill led the brothers to form Braselton Brothers, Inc. in 1921. Braselton Brothers also funded local schools, and published the monthly Four County Booster from 1912-1933.

2006.5
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the Braselton Memorial Cemetery Foundation

78-3