- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: Jackson County
- Location: Old Jackson County Courthouse, Jefferson
This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 11, 1796, is named for James Jackson who later became Governor in 1798-1801. A soldier of the Revolution he served in Congress 1789-91 and in the Senate 1793-95 and 1801-06. He strongly opposed the Yazoo fraud, and died in 1806. Here in Jefferson ether was first used as an anaesthetic in surgery by Dr. Crawford W. Long on Marfch 30, 1842. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff John Hart, Clerk of Superior Court George Taylor, Clerk of Inferior Court Daniel W. Eaasley, Coroner Isham Williams and Surveyor James Harper.
078-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954