Dorminy’s Meeting House
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Dorminy’s Meeting House
- Location: Brushy Creek Rd. off Ga. 90, southeast of Ocilla
DORMINY’S MEETING HOUSE YOUNG’S MEETING HOUSE BRUSHY CREEK
Dorminy’s Meeting House was constituted December 17, 1831, on a site 1 mile Northwest of Irwinville, near the home of John B. Dorminy, Sr. The Church was of the Primitive Baptist faith, and the elders constituting it were the rev. J. Baker and the Rev. John Marshall. Organizing members were: John Dorminy, Sr., Rachel Dorminy, Samuel Goff, Tobitha Goff, Susan Jernigan, Richard Tucker, Thomas Wooddard, Nancy Wooddard, Sarah Smith. John Dorminy, Sr., was Clerk.
The Rev. Archibald Odum was the first regular pastor, beginning his pastorate February 21, 1835.
In 1836, by unanimous agreement of the members, the church was moved to Young’s Meeting House in the 3rd District of Irwin County. The church remained at the Young’s Meeting House site until 1853. On March 26, of that year, upon motion duly made and carried, it was agreed to move the church to Brush Creek, the present site. Only the old cemeteries remain to mark the locations of Dorminy’s Meeting House and Young’s Meeting House.
077-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958