The Right Wing at Stockbridge
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: The Right Wing at Stockbridge
- Location: US 23 at the First United Methodist Church in Stockbridge
THE RIGHT WIND AT STOCKBRIDGE
On the night of Nov. 15, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of General Sherman’s army (USA) camped near Stockbridge on its destructive March to the Sea. The Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps) camped between Stone Mountain and Lithonia.
Blair’s 17th Corps, which had marched from Atlanta that day on the McDonough road, camped astride Upton Creek (3 miles NW) with its advance guard on Brush Branch near Stockbridge.
Wood’s and Hazen’s divisions of Osterhaus’ 15th Corps, which had marched toward Jonesboro, then turned toward McDonough at Morrow’s station (7 miles NW), halted south of the Jonesboro road (State 138) and camped along Reeves Creek west of town.
Kilkpatrick’s cavalry division, after skirmishing with parties of Iverson’s cavalry (CSA), camped near Jonesboro (8 miles SW).
On Nov. 16th, the Right Wing moved toward McDonough. Hazen’s division marched through Stockbridge, followed by the 17th Corps, Wood’s division marched via Lee’s Mill (3 miles SW), followed later in the day by Smith’s and Corse’s divisions of the 15th Corps, which had camped near Morrow’s Station and Hapeville.
Although Confederate Cavalry attempted to burn the Indian Creek Bridge, below Stockbridge, the advance guard drove them back, put out the fire, and saved all but the planking. Quick repairs enabled the columns to advance in forty minutes.
075-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1967