The March to the Sea
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: The March to the Sea
- Location: US 23 about 2 miles south of Locust Grove
THE MARCH TO THE SEA
On Nov. 17, 1864, the right wing of Gen. Sherman’s Army marched from McDonough to Jackson, enroute to Planter’s Factory on the Ocmulgee River, where it was to cross into Jasper County the next day. At this point, Woods’ and Hazen’s divisions of the 15th Corps turned right, to facilitate the movement by passing around Jackson to Indian Springs. Smith’s division, followed by Mower’s and Leggett’s of the 17th Corps, continued to Jackson on this road.
That night, Woods and Hazen camped near Liberty Church (10 miles SE), their right covered by Kilpatrick’s cavalry division on the north bank of Towaliga River.
GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER