Heard County Jail
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Heard County Jail
- Location: Town Square, Franklin
HEARD COUNTY JAIL
Pauly Jail Co. of Alabama built this jail in 1912, for $7,500, using plans by Manly Jail Works of Dalton, GA. This jail replaced an 1880 jail that became unfit. The new jail housed up to 16 prisoners upstairs. The County Sheriff (eight sheriffs from 1912-1964) and his family lived downstairs. In the 1930s, two prisoners cut window bars and escaped. Death row prisoners were held here, but the jail’s gallows were never used. In 1964 a new County jail was opened on the Franklin Square, and this jail closed. The 1912 jail was National Register listed in 1981. In 1987, Heard County Historical Society rehabilitated this jail, with help from Callaway Foundation and other donors.
Heard County Board of Commissioners Heard County Historic Preservation Commission