- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: Heard County
- Location: Heard County Courthouse, Franklin
This County, created by Act of the Legislature December 22, 1830, is named for Hon. Stephen Heard, elected President of the Council Feb. 18, 1781, thus, in the absence of Gov. Howley, becoming Governor de facto. An Englishman who moved to Wilkes Co. from Virginia, Heard fought in the Revolution and distinguished himself at Kettle Creek. Among the first County Officers were: Clerk of Superior Court William Wood, Clerk of Inferior Court Paschal H. Taylor, Coroner David Cox and Surveyor Jackson Fitzpatrick. The first Sheriff, Jonathan Mewsick, was not commissioned until 1832.
074-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954