- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Hart County
- Location: Hart County Courthouse Square, Hartwell
Hart County was created by the Legislature on Dec. 7, 1853 out of
portions of Franklin and Elbert counties. It is the only county in
Georgia named for a woman – Nancy Hart.
Nancy Hart and her husband, Benjamin Hart, obtained a 400 acre
grant 25 miles S.E. from Hartwell in Colonial days and erected a log
cabin home. During the Revolution War six Tories forced their way
into the Hart home and demanded that Nancy cook a meal for them.
She started cooking an old turkey, meanwhile sending her daughter
to the spring to blow a conch shell for help. Detected slipping the
third tory rifle through a crack in the wall, Nancy killed one of the
Tories and wounded another. Hart and several neighbors, coming to her
rescue, wanted to shoot the five surviving Tories but Nancy insisted
that they be hanged, and they were. Tradition has it that Nancy
Hart served as a spy for Gen. Elijah Clarke, sometimes disguised
as a man. The Indians respectfully called Nancy Hart “War Woman,”
giving that name to a creek adjacent to her cabin, which is memo-
rialized in a State Park on State Highway Route 17.
Hart County’s first officers elected in Feb. 1854 were Inferior Court
Justices Henry F. Chandler, Micajah Carter, Clayton S. Webb, Daniel
M. Johnson, James V. Richardson; Inferior Court Clerk Frederic C.
Stephenson. Ordinary James T. Jones. Superior Court Clerk Burrell
Mitchell. Sheriff William Myers. Tax Receiver W.C. Davis. Tax Collec-
tor Richard Shirley. Surveyor John A. Cameron. Cornoer Richmond
Skelton and Treasurer Samuel White.
073-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955