The Wire Road
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: The Wire Road
- Location: U.S. 27 Alt. at Ga. 315 in Ellerslie
THE WIRE ROAD
This road marks the route of the first telegraph lines from Washington to New Orleans, via Columbus, completed in 1848. The road entered Harris County at Mount Airy (later Ridgeway), 5 miles from here. A stagecoach inn, stores, houses, and schools there were almost swept away by the cyclone of 1875. On this road stood Bethesda Baptist Church, organized in 1828, later moved to Ellerslie. The home of Gen. Henry Lowe, near this junction, entertained Ex-President James K. Polk and other prominent visitors as they came from Milledgeville, the capital of Georgia, along the Wire Road.
072-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956