The Iron Horse
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: The Iron Horse
- Location: Located on Commerce Ave. at Broad St. in Pine Mountain
THE IRON HORSE
In 1879, the Columbus to Rome railroad made its way over Pine Mountain to the village of Hood which had been established by Colonel W. D. Chipley. After two years, Hood vanished almost overnight due to a dispute over land titles. W. D. Chipley then extended the track one mile north to a new town, Chipley. The residents of Chipley had to raise $1,000 for the tracks to be extended. “The Iron Horse,” as the train was known, helped Chipley become a “Boom Town” because it developed into a first rate cotton market with one hundred bales a day being shipped out. Chipley’s name was changed to Pine Mountain in 1958.
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Mrs. O’Neal’s 5th Grade Class, Creekside School 2010