Choose another Topic

Harris County Historical Markers

Lucy Laney Elementary School


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Lucy Laney Elementary School
  • Location: Located at 6858 Highway 208, Waverly Hall

(Side 1)

LUCY LANEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

On this site, in 1954, Lucy Laney Elementary School was opened with the mission of educating black children in the Waverly Hall, Shiloh, Ellerslie, and surrounding areas. The school was named in honor of Lucy Craft Laney, a famous black educator, from Augusta, GA. Mr. Edward F. Robinson served as the first principal of the school. Grades 1 through 8 were taught there until the integration of area public schools in 1970. After integration, the name was changed to Waverly Hall Elementary. The school closed in 1989 and the building was razed in 2004.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Edward F. Robinson, George H. Luttrell, Jr., Sandra Bruce, Ella Marshall, Michael Harris and Dan Akins 2010

(Side 2)

LUCY LANEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

Original Superintendent – Zade Kenimer Original Principal – Edward F. Robinson

Subsequent Principals: William A. Long Reverend George P. McKinney Theodore C. Bowen Louie Otis Meadows, Jr.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Edward F. Robinson, George H. Luttrell, Jr., Sandra Bruce, Ella Marshall, Michael Harris and Dan Akins 2010