Choose another Topic

Harris County Historical Markers

Kingsboro & Cataula


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Kingsboro & Cataula
  • Location: US 27 at Ga 315 in Cataula

KINGSBORO & CATAULA

At KINGSBORO, 3 mi. S., Ga.’s first narrow gauge railroad (North & South RR), chartered in 1870 (Columbus to Romel), ended in 1873. CATAULA (Big Rock) is a Creek name. Clowers Meth. Church, organized as “Providence” in 1829, was built of logs by Thomas Clowers and others, with James Dorrough, Jr., pastor. Renamed, it was to moved to Cataula. Rehobeth Bap. Church, moved to Cataula in 1900, was organized 1 1/4 mi. S. in 1839. The Granberry family gave land for this church; Rev. Geo. Granberry was the first pastor. Harmony Prim. Bap. Church was organized in 1841. Thomas McElroy gave the land and, in 1953, it was returned to his family.

072-12
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION

1958