Hamilton Female College
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Hamilton Female College
- Location: S. Old College St. in Hamilton
HAMILTON FEMALE COLLEGE
The Hamilton Female College was chartered in 1853 in southern Harris County. It was located on what was known as College Hill. Asbury Johnston and Stephen A. Borders donated the property for the college. The Hamilton Female College was the first chartered school in Harris County. Before 1853, Georgia’s General Assembly had refused to permit the beginning of female academies. Education was mainly for males. Seventeen years later, in 1870, the school burned.
ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE MRS. O’NEAL’S ODYSSEY CLASS MULBERRY CREEK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL 2002