- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Dowdell’s Knob
- Location: Ga. 190 in northeastern Harris County near the Meriwether County line
The road extending one mile south traverses a spur which projects into Pine Mountain Valley and terminates in a knob 1395 feet elevation above sea level overlooking a spectacular spread of the valley floor.
The knob was named for two pioneer Harris County settlers, Lewis & James Dowdell of Virginia ancestry who settled here in 1828.
While sojourning at The Little White House near Warm Springs, Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32d President of the United States, found momentary rest and relaxation contemplating the wide expanse of land and sky as viewed from the summit of Dowdell’s Knob.
072-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957