Choose another Topic

Harris County Historical Markers

Bethany Baptist Church (Side 1)


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Bethany Baptist Church (Side 1)
  • Location: 285 Bethany Church Road (off Ga 18) just west of Pine Mountain

BETHANY BAPTIST CHURCH

Bethany Baptist Church was chartered on Sept. 8, 1828. The six charter members were James Garrett, Levin Collins, Uriah Jones, Lucy Garrett, Catherine Simmons and Mary Jones. The first pastor, John W. Cooper, served from 1828-1847. In 1847 the current building was constructed on a 7.5-acre parcel deeded by plantation owner, Joel Culpepper. Slaves attended with white families and were accepted as members. All “colored brethren” were granted letters of dismission in 1885 to constitute their own church, also named Bethany. In 1887, 37 members were granted letters in order to establish Chipley Baptist Church (now First Baptist of Pine Mountain). (Continued on other side)

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND FRIENDS AND FAMILY OF HUBERT CHAMPION (1913-2007) BETHANY MEMBER FOR 77 YEARS