Choose another Topic

Haralson County Historical Markers

Haralson County


  • Source: Keith Hair
  • Marker: Haralson County
  • Location: Haralson County Courthouse, Buchanan

HARALSON COUNTY

This County, created by Act of the Legislature

Jan. 26, 1856, is named for Gen. Hugh A. Haral-

son, Member of Congress and Chairman of the

Committee on Military Affairs during the

Mexican War. The County Site is named for

James Buchanan, last Democratic President

before the War. Among the first County

Officers were: Sheriff John K. Holcombe, Clerk

of Superior Court Van A. Brewster, Clerk of

Inferior Court Jesse M. Jeams, Tax Receiver

Hiram Ray, Tax Collector Alfred H. Green,

Ordinary George H. Hamilton, Surveyor William

D.F. Mann and Coroner John McClung.

071-1 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1954