Dr. Emmett Ethridge Butler
- Source: Buz Hopper and Martin Penny
- Marker: Dr. Emmett Ethridge Butler
- Location: E.E. Butler Hwy at Brenau Ave, Gainesville
DR. EMMETT ETHRIDGE BUTLER 1908-1955
Dr. Emmett Ethridge Butler was born in Jefferson, Georgia, and reared in Macon. He was graduated from Morehouse College and the Meharry Medical College. He and his family moved to Gainesville in 1936 where he established his medical practice. Dr. Butler was president of the Progressive Club, president of the Georgia State Medical Association, and a member of the Northeast Georgia Medical Association. He was appointed to the Gainesville Board of Education and was elected as a deacon of St. John Baptist Church. Deeply respected by his colleagues in medicine as well as throughout the community, Dr. Butler’s focus on health, education, and government served as a beacon for many. The City Council of Gainesville name the E.E. Butler Parkway in his memory in 1990. Sun Trust Bank, upon opening its new bank building on this site, salutes the remarkable and dignified legacy of Dr. Emmett Ethridge Butler with the placement of this memorial.