- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Peachtree Road
- Location: U.S. 23 (Buford Hwy) at Thompson Dr. in north part of Duluth
At Fort Daniel on Hog Mountain, about 12 miles NE, began the original Peachtree Road to the village of Standing Peachtree on the Chattahoochee River. This old road was opened to haul military supplies to the river. These were to be floated downstream to Gen. Jackson’s and Gen. Floyd’s troops, converging on the Indians in the Creek Wars of 1813-1814. Built in late 1813 or early 1814, Fort Daniel, a stockade, was the extreme western point in Georgia. All land to the wet and northwest was Indian country. The old road entered the present highway here.
067-2A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958