National Register of Historic Places City of Norcross
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: National Register of Historic Places City of Norcross
- Location: Near City Hall, Lawrenceville St at Jones St, Norcross
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES CITY OF NORCROSS
The Norcross Historic District has been preserved as a 19th century railroad town, and its historical significance has been recognized by the U. S. Department of the Interior through its listing on the National Register of Historic Places on November 21, 1980. The Historic District sits along the eastern Continental Divide, which played a significant role in the early transportation and settlement of the area. Originally, the Creek and Cherokee Indians occupied this land and the Ridge Line was used as a major transportation route. Two American forts were established in the early 1800s: Fort Daniel at Hog Mountain and Fort Peachtree in Atlanta. These forts were connected by this old Indian trail which became the original Peachtree Road. Around 1840, this trail had evolved into a stagecoach route connecting South Carolina and Alabama through Georgia. In 1856, Jonathan Norcross, a former Atlanta Mayor, proposed the creation of the Richmond-Danville Railroad to open up Northeast Georgia. On September 12, 1869 the first twenty miles of the railroad were completed. On October 16, 1869 John J. Thrasher bought the surrounding 250 acres and a town was born. The town was officially chartered by the Georgia General Assembly on October 26, 1870.