- Source: Keith Hair
- Marker: Gwinnett County
- Location: Old Gwinnett County Courthouse, Lawrenceville
Created in 1818 from Cherokee and Creek cessions, Gwinnett
is an original county. Courts, elections, and sheriff sales
were held, first, in the home of Elisha Winn, 1 mile east of
the Appalachee River. Selected to buy a permanent site for
the county town. Winn purchased Lot 146, consisting of 250
acres in the fifth Land District, for $200 from John Breedlove
of Hancock County who had drawn it in the lottery.
First County Officers, commissioned in March, 1819, were:
William Blake, Sheriff; James Wardlaw, Clerk Superior Court;
Thomas A. Dobbs, Clerk Inferior Court; John Wynn, Corner;
James C. Reed, Surveyor; James Loughridge, Tax Collector;
John W. Beauchamp, Tax Receiver.
In 1849, the four corner lots on the public square were deeded
to Charles H. Smith (Bill Arp), N.L. Hutchins, James P. Simmons,
and T.W. Alexander, lawyers, so long as they maintained a
substantial fence around the square to keep out wandering
livestock. The first fence under this agreement was eight
feet high with a stile on each side.
067-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1960