Choose another Topic

Gwinnett County Historical Markers

Brunswick Hotel Circa 1870

  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Brunswick Hotel Circa 1870
  • Location: Thrasher Street and Park Drive, Norcross


On this site in 1870, the Brunswick Hotel was constructed. The Hotel was three stories high with wide porches on the first two stories. It had 29 rooms and a restaurant. The Hotel was a destination spot for vacationing Atlantans wanting to escape the heat and dust on the city on the recently opened “Air Line Belle” Railroad. The Hotel was described as “Atlanta’s Favorite Summer Resort”. Promotional activities for the Hotel were many on Tuesdays and Fridays. A brass band played for dancing in the Pavilion in the park. The Hotel offered large display rooms for salesmen to display their merchandise, and the restaurant was described as “clean, nice, with everything well cooked”. The Hotel became a gathering spot and the wide porches were enjoyed by guest and non-guests alike. It was customary to dress-up in the afternoon and walk over to the depot to greet the arrival of family and friends. The Brunswick Hotel was torn down at the end of World War II.