The Spanish on Jekyll Island
- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: The Spanish on Jekyll Island
- Location: Jekyll Island
THE SPANISH ON JEKYLL ISLAND
Within sight and sound of St. Simons Island, Jekyll Island was
ideal for entertaining Spanish visitors to the settlement at Frederica.
Major William Horton, resident of the island, received the guests
while Oglethorpe on St. Simons, with cannon booming and his
few soldiers appearing and reappearing on the south beach,
professed a strength he did not have.
In 1736, Spanish Commissioners Don Pedro Lamberto and Don
Manuel d’Arcy, sent by Governor Sanchez of St. Augustine to
discuss rival claims to the Georgia coast, were feted on Jekyll.
On board the Sloop Hawk in Jekyll Sound, kilted Highlanders
from Darien with clanging broadswords, Tomo-Chi-Chi and
Hyllispilli with about 30 of their “chiefest” Indians in war
paint and regella loudly denounced the Spanish and helped
Oglethorpe impress the visitors with strength and good will
of the colonists. Agreeing to leave all questions to the
courts of Spain and England, the emissaries returned to St.
Augustine pleased with their mission. Angered by the decision,
Spain recalled and executed Governor Sanchez.
After the Battle of Bloody Marsh, the Spaniards burned the
buildings on Jekyll Island.
063-35 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1959