St. Simons Island
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: St. Simons Island
- Location: Located near the entrance to Fort Frederica National Monument, St. Simons Island 31.2223, -81.3867
ST. SIMONS ISLAND
From March 9 - May 12, 1736, Charles Wesley, secretary to James Oglethorpe, was Anglican cleric to the founders of Fort Frederica. His stern discipline earned disfavor among the colonists and Oglethorpe. John Wesley, religious leader to the colony of Georgia, visited Charles in April 1736, preaching in the storehouse. Charles returned to England. John ministered to the Fredericans in four trips before leaving “with an utter despair of doing good there” on January 26, 1737.
After John’s return to England, in May 1738 the brothers had “heart warming experiences” and later founded the Methodist movement.
GENERAL CONFERENCE, THE METHODIST CHURCH 1960
DEDICATED FEBRUARY 9, 1993