Needwood Baptist Church and Needwood School
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Needwood Baptist Church and Needwood School
- Location: U.S. 17, one mile south of Hofwyle-Broadfield Plantation
NEEDWOOD BAPTIST CHURCH AND NEEDWOOD SCHOOL
Needwood Baptist Church was organized in 1866 on nearby Broadfield Plantation as Broadfield Baptist Church of the Zion Baptist Association. This structure, built in the 1870s, was redesigned in 1885 when the church moved its congregation here. Its formation and history are representative of religious development in the context of plantation rice culture. The nearby one-room Needwood School provided elementary education for this community from 1907 until desegregation in the 1960s. Both structures are examples of early African-American vernacular architecture.
1999.3 Erected by the The Georgia Historical Society and the Pilot Club of Brunswick, Inc. 67-1
[Note: the marker is numbered incorrectly - should be 63 (for Glynn County) instead of 67]