Choose another Topic

Glynn County Historical Markers

Major William Horton


  • Source: Ed Jackson
  • Marker: Major William Horton
  • Location: Jekyll Island

MAJOR WILLIAM HORTON

Born in England

Came to Georgia in 1736

Died at Savannah in 1748

These are the remains of Hoton’s tabby house. Major Horton of

Oglethorpe’s Regiment, the first English resident of Jekyll Island,

erected on the north end of Jekyll a two-story dwelling and large

barn. He cleared fields here for cultivation of crops which supplied

the settlers at Frederica on St. Simons Island, a neighboring island,

who would have suffered except for this assistance. Major Horton

cut a road across the north end of Jekyll, running east and west,

from this tabby house to the beach. This road is still knwon as the

Horton Road.

Major Horton was a trusted officer chosen by James Oglethorpe for

important missions. Upon Oglethorpe’s final return to England in 1743,

Major Horton succeeded him as commander of the military forces

of the Colony of Georgia

Poulain du Bignon, owner of Jekyll Island after the Revolutionary

War, repaired the Horton tabby house and made it his home. As the

du Bignon family grew, wooden wings were added to the house.

063-15 GEORGIA HISTORIAL COMMISSION 1956