Lovely Lane Chapel
- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: Lovely Lane Chapel
- Location: Epworth By The Sea Methodist Retreat on St. Simons Island
LOVELY LANE CHAPEL
Built by Norman W. Dodge in 1880 and named St. James Union Church, the chapel is now the oldest church building on St. Simons Island. Repaired following a hurricane in 1897, deconsecrated in 1911 and used as a recreation center, the chapel was reconsecrated after the Methodists purchased the property in 1949. Restored under the leadership of Bishop Arthur J. Moore, the chapel is now a favorite place for worship, weddings, baptisms and prayer. The magnificent stained glass windows are irreplaceable pieces of Old English Art Glass. The Methodists renamed the church Lovely Lane Chapel after the site of the 1784 founding conference of American Methodism in Baltimore, Maryland.
PROVIDING AN ATMOSPHERE OF THE NEARNESS OF GOD.