- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Glynn County
- Location: Glynn County Courthouse, Brunswick
Glynn County, one of the eight original Counties of Georgia,
was organized under the 1777 Constitution of the State of Georgia.
IT was named in honor of John Glynn, a member of the British
House of Commons who defended the cause of the American Colonies
in the difficulties which led to the Revolutionary War.
Glynn County contains the lands formerly included in the Colonial
Parishes of St. David, St. Patrick, and St. James, which had been
organized in 1785.
Among the early officials were the Hon. George Walton, Signer of
the Declaration of Independence, Judge of the Superior Court;
James Spalding, Alexander Bissett, Richard Leake, and Raymond
Demere, Justices of the Inferior Court; John Goode, Clerk of the
Inferior and Superior Courts; John Palmer, Sheriff; John Burnett,
Register of Probates; Richard Bradley, Tax Collector; Martin Palmer,
Tax Receiver; Joshua Miller, Surveyor; Jacob Helvestine, Coroner;
George Handley (who in 1788 was elected Governor of the State
of Georgia) and Christopher Hillary, Legislators; George Purvis,
Richard Pritchard, Moses Burnett, John Piles, and John Burnett,
Commissioners of Glynn Academy.
063-21 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957