Choose another Topic

Gilmer County Historical Markers

Gilmer County


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Gilmer County
  • Location: Front of the Courthouse, Ellijay

GILMER COUNTY

Gilmer County was created by Act of Dec. 3,

1832 out of Cherokee. Originally, it contained

parts of Fannin, Dawson and Pickens Counties.

The county was named for George Rockingham

Gilmer (1790-1859), who served with distinction

as a soldier, lawyer, legislator, Congressman

and twice as Governor of Georgia, 1829-1831

and 1837-1839. First officers, commissioned

March 9, 1833, were: Levi A. Hufsteller, Sheriff;

Thomas M. Burnett, Clerk Superior Court; Henry

K. Quillian, Clerk Inferior Court. Officers com-

missioned July 10, 1833 were Thomas Gutterry,

Coroner, and Benjamin M. Griffith, Surveyor.

061-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956