Zero Mile Post
- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: Zero Mile Post
- Location: Police Station at Parking Garage at Underground Atlanta
ZERO MILE POST
This Zero Mile Post marks the Southeastern Terminus of the Western and Atlantic Railroad, about which a settlement grew and eventually became Atlanta. This railroad, to Chattanooga, Tennessee, was built, and still is owned by the State of Georgia. It was authorized by the State Legislature December 21, 1836. The route was surveyed by Colonel Stephen Harriman Long, Chief Engineer, May 12, 1837 to November 3, 1840. Construction began March, 1838.
The original terminus was between the present Forsyth and Magnolia Streets. It was moved here in 1842. The settlement which sprang up was called Terminus. It was incorporated as the town of Marthasville, December 23, 1843. The name was changed to Atlanta, December 29, 1847. It was incorporated as the City of Atlanta, December 29, 1847, with corporate limits extending one mile in every direction from the State Depot which was between here and what is now Pryor Street.
The railroad placed mile posts beginning here in 1850. A new City Charter approved February 28, 1874 redefined the corporate limits as a circle one mile and a half in every direction from this mile post.
060-124 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958