Wood’s Div. 4th Corps
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Wood’s Div. 4th Corps
- Location: Piedmont Park on East Pelham Rd. in Atlanta
WOOD’S DIV. 4TH CORPS
On adjacent hill was the right or western end of the intrenched line held by Gen. T.J. Wood’s div. of the Federal 4th A.C., July 20-22, 1864. The line extended E. 1.5 mile to intersection of Rock Spring & Cumberland Roads.
This was a part of the general movement on Atlanta by Federal forces from the N. & E. which had begun at the upper Chattahoochee River crossings July 17. Wood advanced from this position in the general move toward Atlanta, early the 22d, where he occupied a sector of the line from which siege operations were carried on until terminated Sept. 2, by the surrender of the city.
060-75 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956